One of the great things about Nutanix is its simplicity to keep up to date. Everyone knows that you can do Acropolis updates with one click and no downtime. Did you also know that you can update ESXi via the One-Click interface?
In this article, I will be updating a vSphere cluster from 5.5 to 6.0U2 using PRISM.. This customer is running the vCenter appliance and they did not want to have a Windows machine in their environment just for VUM.
We will follow the below steps to perform the upgrade:
- Verify the current vSphere version on the host.
- Download the JSON file from Nutanix – It can be found on the Nutanix Support Portal -Hypervisor Details page (Requires Login) for the hypervisor version you are going to upgrade to
- Download ESXi from your my.vmware.com site. Select the appropriate download. In this case, we are going to select vSphere 6.0U2 – Choose the “Offline Bundle”
- Log into Nutanix Prism via the Cluster IP
- Click the setting icon in the upper right corner and select “Upgrade Software”
- Select the Hypervisor tab – this will show you what version you are currently on as well.
- Click on “Upload Hypervisor binary”
- Browse and select the JSON file and ESXi Offline bundle you downloaded in steps 2 & 3
- Click Upload Now
- When the upload is finished – Click Upgrade and then Upgrade again
- You will be prompted for your vCenter credentials
- Enjoy your upgrade – find something else to do
- Prism will place each host in maintenance mode upgrade the host, and move on to the next.
- Once it is complete, you can verify the host has been updated via web console or vSphere Client.
Nutanix just makes it simple!
Enjoy your upgrade!