vCenter solutions extensions, everyone has them, everyone loves them. This post is going to focus on, what happens when you uninstall and extension, but the tags are still on the VM’s.
I recently ran into a situation with a customer that they were doing a VM migration with Zerto, they finished the migration and then uninstalled. Typically, no problem – however it appeared that after they uninstalled the product, vCenter was still showing that the “com.zerto.plugin” was still managing the VM.
This is actually very easy to fix. VMware KB2032366 references a similar issue with VMware Site Recovery Manager. Will will go through the steps listed in this KB, but removing the “com.zerto.plugin” extension.
- Download the “Managedby.ps1” script from the link above and extract the .ps1 file to a directory that you typically run scrips from.
- Open PowerCLI and connect to your vCenter “connect-viserver <vCenter hostname>
- I run the “.\managedby.ps1 -cmd scanVMs” to see what solutions are being used. This also ensures you are grabbing the exact name of the solution extension. This also lists all VM’s that are using this extension.
- Run – $hmsVms = .\ManagedBy.ps1 -Cmd getVms -extKey “com.zerto.plugin”
- To view the machines with the plugin, run $hmsVms
- Run – .\ManagedBy.ps1 -Cmd Clear -VMs $hmsVms
- Now, if you right click on the VM, you should not the the “confirm operation” dialog box you see above.